Section 1: The GreenSkills4VET Learning Units
Medication administration in nursing and healthcareUnit produced by: School of Pedagogical and Technological Education (ASPETE)
Learning Unit description
|Title of the unit:||Medicament administration|
|Resource type of the unit:||WebQuest|
|Media format:||Text, Video, Images, Quizzes, WebQuest|
|Description:||The module “medication” is taught in the Health sector in the IEK level. The aim of this module is the development of knowledge of trainees on the concept of medicament as well as their awareness regarding SD issues in this area. Expected skills are the correct administration and the overall sound management of medicaments both by the professional and, later on, by their patients. Rational consumption, utilization of remaining quantity of drugs and finally recycling of drugs are some ESD relevant objectives.|
|Keywords||Medicaments, storage, reuse, recycling, sustainable development|
|Justification with regard to the GreenSkills4VET Reference Framework (in terms of ESD):||This learning unit was considered appropriate for the development of objectives regarding ESD, following the EQF model. The excessive use of medicaments, non-correct storage, non-environmentally friendly release which may entail groundwater contamination are some important SD themes. The objectives are compatible with EQF level 5 (for instance the competence: review and develop performance of self and others). They also correspond to VET further specifications of ESD Core Competences. The thematic areas concerned are Health, Education, Global environmental change, Poverty and social security. Finally the themes involved make part of SD definitions and the objectives correspond to ESD definitions of the GreenSkills4VET project (Rational use of resources, focusing on citizen participation, making people more active, cultural change, social responsibility).|
Learning Objectives with regard to the European Qualifications Framework
The trainee acquires broad, specialized, objective and theoretical knowledge in this field of work or study and is aware of the limits of this knowledge. She/he is able to:
- Indicate ways to properly administer drugs, how to use the remaining quantities of drugs and how to facilitate the recycling perspective under appropriate conditions.
- Describe good ways of administering drugs (use, administration, storage, release)
- Identify health and environmental hazards due to poor drug management.
A wide range of cognitive and practical skills are required to find creative solutions to concrete and abstract problems. The trainee is expected to:
- Apply the different ways of administering drugs correctly.
- Inform and educate patients to take medicaments in the right way.
- Advocate in the workplace the need to recycle medicaments and make a sustainable use.
- Inform patients about the rational use and administration of medicaments.
- Demonstrate good practices regarding use, delivery, storage and release of medicaments.
- Obtain management and supervision capabilities within this specific work or learning process where unexpected changes may occur. The trainees are also expected to have the ability to review and develop their personal performance as well as that of other people.
- Work responsibly and with respect for the resources of the medicaments, the human factor and the environment.
Section 2: Methodological and didactic supplementary Materials
Methodological and didactic supplementary material 2
Methodological and didactic supplementary material 3